Zedd Talks Next Album: ‘It’s Taking Forever’

Zedd

Zedd surprised ravers last week when he made an unannounced visit — and played a headlining set — in Brooklyn’s Red Hook neighborhood.

While there, he dished details to Billboard about his next album.

“It’s taking forever. It’s hard to find time to sit down and focus on it,” he said, noting he’s written most of the songs, but is getting held up on the production process.

“Making them sound the way I want them to sound, finding the right vocalists, and so on.

“I might put out a single or two in the next six months or so, but I need to get off the road for a little while,” he added.

And who might join him on the single and album? He’s already talked with “Stay the Night” collaborator Hayley Williams about teaming up for another track, and his wish list also includes Muse and Silverchair, bands he said he was inspired by.

But there’s clearly a ways to go before a new Zedd album will be ready for salivating fans.

“I’m hoping that by early next year, it will be wrapped. But we’ll see,” he said.

Click here to read the full article.

Tiësto Gets Las Vegas Fountain Show at the Bellagio

Tiesto

Tiësto is joining the ranks of iconic Las Vegas performers when his music becomes part of the Bellagio casino’s fountain show.

The superstar Dutch DJ-producer teamed with WET Design for the three-song medley of tunes from his A Town Called Paradise album. It marks the first time an EDM artist’s music has been used for the free fountain show in Sin City, as well as the first time WET has worked with the music’s composer for the show, according to Las Vegas Weekly.

The Tiesto-featuring presentation debuts on Wednesday, September 17, and will also feature music from Celine DionElton John, Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley.

Eric Prydz: Epic 3.0 ‘is Not a Money-Making Venture for Me’

Eric Prydz is set to take over New York City’s Madison Square Garden on September 27 with his Epic 3.0 performance — a gig he claims is going to cost him a pretty penny.

“This is not a money-making venture for me,” Prydz told the Wall Street Journal‘s Speakeasy blog. “That’s the way I’ve always tried to do things with these one-off projects.”

Epic 3.0 — Prydz’s third installment of one-time-only productions — promises to be an over-the-top journey best viewed from the stands rather than the usually coveted floor seats. With lasers, a 60-foot-wide hologram (the world’s biggest) and an impromptu playlist, it’s not surprising he chose the “crown jewel” of concert venues to host the experience.

“Madison Square Garden is the most expensive venue in the world to produce. It costs so much money just to open the doors,” he said.

And to be clear, “People need to understand that Epic is not a DJ set. It’s a live show,” he said. So note that if you pick up tickets — and you know you want to — that this will be a show far above and beyond your run-of-the-mill set.

Click here to read the full article.

A-Trak, Destructo & DJ Mustard Campaign in Funny or Die Top 100 DJs Debate

 

Now this is the real politics of dancing!

A-TrakDestructoDJ Mustard and newly discovered mix masters Jul-Ian (better known as Once Upon a Time actor Julian Morris and Pretty Little Liars Ian Harding) appeared in a Funny or Die clip in which they debated DJ health care, legalizing marijuana use in space, taxing festival tickets, confetti gun control and Ibiza immigration reform.

The clip comes during the final days of voting in DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs poll. Appropriately, the debate was moderated by Candace Cameron Bure, who played DJ Tanner on Full House. Clever, no?

The controversial competition has taken heat over the years for everything from DJs campaigning to be added to the lists, to questionable rankings and exclusions. While any “government of the people, by the people” is sure to have a few flaws here and there, the system is mocked lovingly in this clip — right up to the participants having two seconds to drop their closing beats and the sounds of vuvuzelas signaling their time on the podium has come to a close.

The world’s No. 1 DJ (and the other 99 who make the list) will be revealed on October 19th.

Calvin Harris Premieres ‘Blame’ Video, Breaks Another Spotify Record

We’ve got a double dose of Calvin Harris to kick off your Friday!

First, “Blame” — which pairs the Scottish DJ with British singer John Newman — has gotten music video treatment.

As the words tell Newman’s story of committing an act of infidelity, that visual is made real in the clip, as a scantily clad woman lies on the bed next to him and, similarly, Harris, who’s featured in another scene.

As the clip progresses, more blonde and brunette beauties head to the club (where else would you go in a dance music clip?) to shake and shimmy the night away. But things start getting weird when water gets involved, in the form of a hot tub, bathroom sink and even a puddle, all of which have transportational powers.

Perhaps we’re reading too deep into it, but hints throughout the epic short film and the stillness of the lady next to Newman seem to suggest the “blame” he’s talking about could be criminal in nature. But we’ll let you make your own decision on that …

Meanwhile, you probably remember when Harris became the first UK solo act to get 1 billion plays on Spotify. According to Music Week, the DJ du jour’s “Blame” just peaked atop the streaming service’s Global Chart just three days after being released. The site says the feat usually takes an act seven to eight weeks to achieve, but the success of “Blame” is a result of a global release of the track rather than rolling out over a few days, weeks or even months, as some other songs have made it to the market.

“Blame” also makes its way onto the Billboard’s Hot Dance/Electronic Songs Chart at No. 15, scoring the hot shot debut position. If pattern holds and the video picks up traction — and it will — Harris is on his way to having one of the year’s biggest hits in and outside the dance music arena.

Avicii Cancels Performances Over Health Concerns

Avicii
Avicii has cancelled upcoming performances due to ongoing health concerns.
The Swedish DJ-producer was to headline TomorrowLand in Atlanta, and has residencies at XS and Encore Beach Club in Las Vegas, as well dates scheduled throughout Asia.
It has been speculated Avicii is still recovering from gallbladder and appendix surgeries, which he underwent after becoming sick in Miami in March.
No official word has been given as to when he’ll return to the stage.
[H/T: BB]

Calvin Harris Becomes First UK Solo Act to Get 1 Billion Plays on Spotify

Calvin Harris

As if being the world’s top-earning DJ and having a hit on his hands weren’t enough, Calvin Harris has earned yet another accolade.

According to Billboard, Harris, of Scotland, just became the first UK (for now!) solo act to amass 1 billion plays on Spotify. The honor comes days after it was revealed that his global smash, “Summer,” garnered 160 million streams during the three-month season for which it’s named.

Mixmag reports that the streams — which if played back to back would last for about 5,000 years — earned the DJ about between $6.5 million and $7 million.

Deadmau5 Battling Disney Over Mouse Ears Trademark

Disney Deadmau5

Deadmau5‘s trademark mouse ears may not be trademarked.

TMZ reports that Disney filed papers Tuesday to block the Canadian DJ-producer from trademarking his famous headgear in the U.S., especially a black-and-white logo version that closely resembles Mickey Mouse.

Mau5 apparently has the trademark in 30 other countries, but Disney contests granting him a trademark of the symbol in the U.S. would be bad for its business.

Deadmau5 hasn’t been quiet on the subject, alleging that the company thinks fans are that gullible and will confuse the two, though The Hollywood Reporter takes him to task on that comment, questioning why he would then want to trademark the likeness.

The DJ has vowed to fight the filing.

David Guetta Promises ‘Most Personal Album Yet’ for Next Release

David Guetta

David Guetta is currently burning up charts with “Lovers on the Sun,” which features Sam Martin, but his new tracks will likely cause an inferno when they come packaged on his upcoming sixth album.

The French DJ-producer talked to The Wall Street Journal about the upcoming compilation, revealing he’s been working solo in the studio before he hooks up with any collaborators.

“I just wanted to push myself to the max and then play it others,” he said. “I know I can make beats that make people dance, so now the challenge is to create the best possible music and songs that are timeless.”

Guetta claims this set is “probably his most personal album yet” and follows his 4 million-selling Nothing But the Beat, which featured a veritable who’s who of pop music. But besides vocals from Martin, the only for-sure outside contributor on his next effort is Avicii, who helped out on “Lovers'” country-dance sound.

“Honestly, I’m a little bit scared,” he said of his next project. “It’s completely different from anything I’ve done before.”

The longtime DJ, who says he only got into producing to create songs that were “missing from his sets,” has rocketed to superstardom thanks to his F*** Me I’m Famous events and compilation albums, as well his original music, beginning with 2002’s Just a Little More Love. But if pattern holds, he could have another masterpiece worthy of the “timeless” label.

Click here to read the full article.

Miami Ultra Music Festival Attendees Must Be 18 or Older, Says New Policy

Ultra Music Festival

This is a bummer for the barely legals.

The Ultra Music Festival announced Tuesday that, starting in March 2015, attendees must be 18 years of age or older to enter the event.

That means kids 17 and under are no longer allowed to come to the weekend-long music showcase in Miami.

“While we sincerely value the incredible ongoing support from our younger fans, we ultimately believe that Ultra Music Festival is a premium event geared towards adults,” organizers announced on their website. “This decision has been made to reinforce and promote the safety of all Ultra Music Festival fans and to ensure the overall enjoyment of all future attendees.”

Billboard reports the announcement comes after a 21-year-old festivalgoer died of a drug overdose and gatecrashers trampled a security guard.

In 2013, UMF planned a double-weekend festival that became an issue of intense debate for the City of Miami’s commission, who eventually allowed the festival to continue as scheduled.

Tickets for 2015 go on sale September 15.